We’re taking the overwhelm out of choosing organic bedding for healthier sleep. Did you know, we spend one-third of our life sleeping? That’s a huge majority of your life spent in your bed. This is why investing in organic eco-friendly bedding is crucial for our health. Yet many think nontoxic bedding is a luxury when it should be a priority.
The Problem With Regular Bedding
Our skin acts like a gigantic sponge, soaking up every substance we come in contact with. That means whatever is on or in our clothes, towels, bedsheets, and pillows.
Bedsheets are often made of synthetic materials such as polypropylene and polyester. These two materials are made of a plastic-derived material. Polyester is a synthetic plastic made from petroleum. This is NOT what we want on our bodies. This is why off-gassing happens with mattresses and sheets that have an odor when opening the package.
How Bedding Can Impact Our Health
Another important reason to switch to eco-friendly bedding is to reduce asthma and skin allergies. If someone in your home has asthma, breathing issues, eczema, or other skin issues, investing in organic eco-friendly bedding can make a huge difference! You’re taking the toxins out of their life, allowing their body to start healing. No this won’t be a miracle cure for those issues but it will help.
While we are sleeping, our body absorbs whatever our sheets, pillows, etc are made of. This is why it is crucial to invest in organic, eco-friendly bedding. It’s one of the best things you can do in your home. P.S. these sheets, pillows, etc last so much longer than nonorganic, eco-friendly items.
Key Points When Shopping For Organic Bedding
- Don’t get greenwashed (fooled by marketing making a product look eco-friendly when it’s really not)
- Be sure the brand has a label of the ingredients each piece of bedding is made from. This should only include organic, natural materials. If there is a word you don’t know look it up to make sure it’s not synthetic.
- Shop around for different brands, don’t just go with the first one. You can find affordable eco-friendly bedding. Also, there may be a brand with a different style you like better
- Look for certifications in organic materials (USDA organic certified), Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS), and Global Organic Latex Standard (GOLS)
- Look for the OEKO-TEX Standard 100 certification which ensures the product(s) have been tested for harmful chemicals and determined to be nontoxic for humans throughout all stages of processing
Best Organic Bedding Brands
Here are the best 4 organic, eco-friendly bedding brands I personally recommend from doing my research! There are many other brands available with certifications but the 4 below are both affordable and trustworthy. If you’re looking for a certain color of bedding, be sure to visit each of the four brands. Every one of them has different shades and styles.
I truly love each and every one of these brands. However, if you had to ask me my favorite, it would definitely be Under The Canopy. This brand has bedding bundles where you save an additional 10% off your purchase. We went with this option and it took all the stress out of the process. We got everything we needed at once without the hassle.
Highly recommend getting the down alternative comforter and pillow bundle as well as the organic percale sheet set in ochre. They’re perfect for all seasons and we never get overheated while sleeping!
Caring Tips For Organic Bedding
When it comes to caring for organic eco-friendly bedding, taking good care of them makes a difference. You want them to last for a long while so there are a few things to know after purchasing. Here’s a mini care guide for your organic eco-friendly bedding:
- Always use nontoxic laundry detergent. NEVER use Tide, Gain, Downy, etc. Regular soaps from the store are full of synthetic chemicals, dyes, and even petroleum. (yes that includes the dye-free, scent-free versions too). You have to find a plant-derived detergent to protect your bedding.
- Never use laundry softeners or scent beads. These will just add chemicals to your nontoxic sheets which will reduce the reason you invested in them.
- Never use dryer sheets it is the exact same issue as non-plant-based detergents, softens, and scent beads. Instead, use organic wool dryer balls.
- When the bedding arrives on your doorstep, be sure to wash them before use. You really don’t HAVE TO since they’re nontoxic and organic BUT it is always best to freshen them up before sleeping on them.
More PBH Blogs To Check Out
- How to Create a Cozy Living Room without Breaking the Bank
- 10 Online Home Goods Stores For Quality Products On A Budget
- 10 Best Office Plants For Productivity and Reduced Stress
If you enjoyed reading this blog post, it would mean so much if you’d leave a kind review below! It does make a difference for Plum Branch Home 😊