This is hands down the best and easiest crockpot cajun chicken alfredo recipe in existence! We have this recipe almost weekly in our house, it’s that good. It takes only a few minutes to combine ingredients in the slow cooker and then it takes care of itself.
Your house will smell wonderful! This is a great recipe to make for weeknight dinners, while hosting guests, and for family parties. Let’s dive in so you can create your very own taste of the south!
Choosing Your Spice Level
When most people think of cajun seasoning they think of really spicy foods. That however doesn’t have to be the case. Yes, cajun has a base of paprika but you get to decide how much you use. This recipe calls for 2 teaspoons of cajun seasoning so it has a zest of spice but it’s not overwhelming at least for us. Remember everyone’s taste buds are different.
If you’ve never had cajun seasoning or you don’t love spicy food (but you love the flavor of cajun) add only 1 teaspoon. If you like your food spicy add in 3 teaspoons of cajun seasoning. If you’re unsure, start with 1 teaspoon then give it a taste at supper time. If it needs more add before serving.
Fresh or Frozen Chicken?
You can use either fresh or frozen chicken breasts. Frozen chicken needs to be cooked on high or cooked for a few extra hours on low. Fresh chicken can cook on low. I personally just use what we have ready. Most of the time I only have frozen chicken breasts (I forget to thaw them haha).
Best Coconut Milk for this Recipe
Coconut milk has so many different consistencies depending on the fat level, additives, and temperature. For this recipe, I only recommend using reduced-fat canned coconut milk. This is simply for consistency. It’s very creamy coconut milk. If you use full fat it’s very dense and won’t create the same texture. You can also try coconut milk in the cartons at the store next to the other refrigerated plant-based milks.
Can I Use a Different Type of Milk?
I wouldn’t use anything other than coconut milk. You won’t get the same consistency, creaminess, or taste. The coconut milk pairs very well with the cajun spices which are both what make this dish. If you don’t like the flavor of coconut no need to worry, it doesn’t necessarily have a coconut flavor.
Best Sides To Serve With This Recipe
This recipe is a one pot dish, you’ve got your chicken and your pasta but if you want a little extra on the side no problem! Here’s a few side dishes that would pair perfectly.
- Steamed Broccoli
- Sourdough Bread
- Homemade Garlic Toast
- Roasted Veggies
More PBH Recipes To Try
- Nashville Hot Chicken Nuggets Recipe (Baked For Better Health)
- Easiest Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes (Slow Cooker Recipe)
- How to Make Cheesy Potato Soup (Simple Recipe)
Slow Cooker Cajun Chicken Alfredo
- 1 slow cooker
- 1 pairing knife
- 1/2 onion
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 2 tsp cajun seasoning *customizable
- 1/8 tsp cumin
- 1 cup grated parmesan
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 8oz can reduced-fat coconut milk
- 2 chicken breasts frozen or fresh
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup grated parmesan
- 1 cup noodles (elbow, farfalle, penne) whole wheat or regular will work
- First, spray the inside of your slow cooker with olive oil or avocado oil to prevent any sticking.
- Next dice half an onion and cut half a red bell pepper into small cubes (the size of bell pepper slices are up to you)
- Then add the diced onion, cubed red bell pepper, cajun seasoning, cumin, salt, pepper, garlic, and chicken breasts to the slow cooker.
- Next pour in coconut milk and chicken broth.
- Then add half (1/2 cup) of parmesan to the slow cooker and stir with a large wooden spoon.
- Cook FROZEN chicken on low for 8 hours or high for 6 hours. Cook FRESH chicken on low for 6 hours or high for 4 hours. (Don't open the lid during cook time)
- Finally, during the last 30 minutes of cook time add 1 cup of noodles and the other half (1/2 cup) of parmesan to the slow cooker. Ensure all noodles are down in the sauce so they can cook evenly. Cook at the same temperature for 25-30 minutes. Then serve and enjoy!